Gum recession is a condition in which the soft tissue surrounding the teeth begins to pull away, exposing the sensitive roots of the teeth. It is often a result of periodontal disease, but it can also occur because of overly aggressive brushing. Previously, the only treatment was soft tissue grafting, which is an extensive and often painful procedure. Fortunately, there is a new, minimally invasive procedure to treat gum recession. We can help you understand Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® benefits during a consultation with Dr . Devang Gandhi at our Brampton office. This advanced treatment requires no incisions or sutures, and results in minimal downtime. Contact us today to learn more.
The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®
This new technique is a minimally invasive approach to correcting gum recession. Dr . Devang Gandhi will use a needle to create a small entry point in the gums above the teeth. Using special instruments inserted through this entry point, he will gently loosen and adjust the position of the underlying soft tissue to cover the exposed portion of the tooth.
The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® versus Traditional Soft Tissue Grafting Procedures
When traditional soft tissue grafting is used to correct gum recession, a small piece of epithelial tissue must be removed from the roof of the mouth. It is stitched into place in the treatment area to cover the exposed portion of the tooth. This has shown to be an effective treatment for gum recession, but can be painful and time intensive. The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique®, on the other hand, is far less invasive, more comfortable, and provides immediate aesthetic results.
The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® Advantages
The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® offers many advantages over traditional soft tissue grafting procedures:
- It requires no incisions. Because this does not involve tissue grafting, no incisions are necessary.
- It requires no sutures. The newly positioned gum tissue is held in place by collagen strips rather than sutures.
- The procedure is fast. This treatment can typically be performed in under an hour, depending on how many teeth are being treated.
- It is virtually painless. Because there are no incisions or sutures, and the procedure takes a relatively short amount of time, patients can expect only minor pain and discomfort.
- It involves a relatively short recovery period. Because the procedure is minimally invasive, patients generally have very little downtime, experience minimal swelling, and often return to regular activities the day after the procedure.
- It produces instant results. This treatment provides a cosmetic enhancement that is immediately noticeable, and the small entry point typically heals quickly following your procedure.
Similar to receiving treatment for a cavity, only a local anesthetic is needed to numb the treatment area. Following the procedure, only over-the-counter pain medication is needed.
Contact Our Office
Many patients have already undergone The Chao Pinhole Surgical Technique® and experienced excellent results. If you would like to learn more about the benefits of this exciting new procedure, please contact our office to schedule a consultation with Dr . Devang Gandhi